DATE: March 21st, 2019
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT: April 17th, 2019
The BC Cycling Coalition is excited to be presenting the first annual BC Active Transportation Summit on June 17th & 18th at the Anvil Centre in New Westminster.
The Summit will gather leaders, stakeholders and advocates from government, industry, academia, and non-profit sectors to explore how to make active transportation safe and convenient for people of all ages and abilities in communities across BC.
The Summit is being presented in the context of the Province’s first BC Active Transportation Strategy, currently under development through the CleanBC Plan, and expected to be completed this summer. Summit themes, plenaries, and presentations will describe policies and practices to advance active transportation throughout the province, and address concerns such as climate change, affordability, equity, poverty reduction, and a sustainable economy.
Summit presentations should strive to help address the barriers to active transportation, especially for persons with disabilities, those with low incomes, children, seniors and women in Indigenous, rural, suburban and urban communities. Our goal is to ensure the concerns of people walking and cycling, and people with disabilities are equitably represented throughout the event.
We are now pleased to welcome submitted abstracts that address the following themes until the deadline of April 11th, 2019:
Education & Promotion: Systemic education and encouragement of active transportation across BC
Active Living & Health: Active transportation, well-connected, accessible communities, and built environment for health and well-being
Safety & Vision Zero in BC: Making active transportation safe and secure for everyone
Designing The New & Retrofitting The Old: Planning, funding, building, and maintaining active transportation networks and facilities
The Economic Case for Active Transportation: The potential in tourism, recreation, business, and transportation innovations
- Dealing with Distance: Multi-modal integration with bus, rail, and ferry service & E-bikes and electric micro-mobility
When applying, please indicate in which format you hope to present in. We are open to receiving proposals for, but not limited to, the following:
- Panel Session: Three panelists over 90-minute session lead by one moderator
- World Café Session: 90-minute session lead by one moderator and “table hosts”
- Interactive Workshop Session: 45-75 minute interactive presentation lead by one presenter
- Mobile Workshop Session: 30-45 minute session held outside the event facility, activating the surrounding public space
- Pecha Kucha Session(s): 10-minutes (or less) fast-paced series of presentations using slides
- Poster Board: Poster board presentation viewable in the foyer, or other open space, within the facility
In order to apply, please complete this Google Form. We ask that you respect a 300 word limit when submitting an abstract of your proposal.
All presentation formats will be accessible for all needs and abilities, however please indicate in your application whether you require any sort of additional support in the allotted section.
When assessing applications, we will take the following criteria into consideration:
- Relevance & Inclusivity: How does it align with the themes and values of our event?
- Originality & Creativity: How is it engaging and compelling to our audience?
- Research & Supporting Data: How well developed and supported is the presentation?
We will evaluate applications as they are received. All applications sent in before the deadline will be considered, with a notification on the status of your application going out after the April 11th, 2019 cutoff.
If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to reach out to Lucas Meneses-Skoda at email@example.com.
Download this document as a PDF here.
Download this document as a Word file here.